The RDRWA Events Calendar allows the Red Deer River Watershed Alliance and the community to post events that focus on watershed management and other water or land-related topics in a common location to be viewed by the public. Do you have a comment, question, or need help with accessing or submitting an event to the calendar? Contact: info (at ) rdrwa.ca or call: 403-340-7379.
- This event has passed.
Canada’s History and the Municipal Role in Reconciliation Workshop
RMA and the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) are partnering to host two virtual workshops that will explore how past government policies have defined today’s relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples.
The workshop will provide municipal leaders with a deeper understanding of:
- Canada’s history of government policies and the effect on First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples
- The learnings from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada and the 94 Calls to Action
- Indigenous intersectionality and guidance on terminology
- Common myths and how unconscious bias continues to contribute to misconceptions, prejudices, and stereotyping of Indigenous peoples
- Practical steps for municipal governments to advance reconciliation and create inclusive workspaces
This workshop is designed for municipal elected officials and senior municipal administrators who would like to gain a further understanding of how government polices have impacted Indigenous peoples and how to support reconciliation in their community. The workshop will be held on two dates:
- July 23, 2021 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- July 26, 2021 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm