RDRWA Education & Outreach Program Coordinator
The organization: The Red Deer River Watershed Alliance (RDRWA, www.rdrwa.ca) is a collaborative, non-profit organization that serves as a Watershed Planning and Advisory Council (WPAC) under the provincial Water for Life Strategy in Alberta. The Government of Alberta partners with WPACs to achieve the three goals of the Water for Life Strategy – healthy aquatic ecosystems, reliable quality water supplies for a sustainable economy, and safe, secure drinking water.
The position: The RDRWA seeks a Education & Outreach Program Coordinator to support the development and delivery of outreach programs and activities related to watershed health and water quality in Summer 2022. We seek a young professional with a passion for water and the environment, with a background in either science or education. The ideal candidate will have a solid foundation in key concepts related to watersheds (e.g., what a watershed is, water quality, etc.) and strong interpersonal skills.
The position will focus on the topic of water quality, helping to communicate scientific information to key audiences through communications and community engagement. This position will be a mix of in-person (in Red Deer ) and remote work, with travel required across the Red Deer River watershed in central Alberta.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and support virtual or in-person outreach events and education activities related to watersheds in central Alberta.
- Assist with the development and delivery of communication, education, and outreach events and materials related to water quality and watersheds;
- Work with stewardship groups on watershed issues, including local community-based water monitoring projects involving water chemistry sampling and aquatic invertebrate identification;
- Develop content (e.g., articles, photos) for publishing via RDRWA platforms
- Participate in weekly team meetings and provide regular program reports to the Executive Director;
- Assist with RDRWA events and meetings, and other outreach duties as required.
- Submit a formal report on work experience with RDRWA at the end of contract.
Required Qualifications & Eligibility :
- Excellent communicator, presenter, and writer
- Experience with, and understanding of, watershed concepts, science, and/or environmental education
- Comfortable with public speaking and enjoys interacting with the public
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability and passion for developing and fostering professional relationships
- Positive, problem-solving attitude
- A valid driver’s licence, access to a vehicle, and the willingness to travel within the Red Deer River watershed in central Alberta
- Able to work on some weekends and evenings to attend events and meetings
- Able to do some light lifting and field work
These skills are not requirements for this position but are considered an asset:
- Post-secondary education in environmental sciences, education, water resources, biology, agriculture, communication, journalism or a related field (degree may be in progress)
- Experience delivering environmental education programs to the general public and youth
- Demonstrated experience coordinating events
Terms of Employment: This position is partly funded through the federal Canada Summer Jobs program. The Outreach Assistant must be between the ages of 15 to 30 years, be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or with refugee protection, and have a valid Social Insurance Number. This position is dependent on funding.
Pay range is between $21.00 – $23.00 per hour based on experience; a 36.25 hour work week. The position will ideally be in Red Deer, Alberta or be able to commute to the RDRWA office on a regular basis (e.g., 2-3 times per week).
Position term: May 16, 2022 – September 3rd 2022 (16 weeks)
The RDRWA is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace and in science, conservation, and the nonprofit sector. We encourage applications from members of groups that are underrepresented and/or excluded from these sectors, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
To apply: Please send a resume with a cover letter and 2 – 3 references to: email@example.com, addressed to Josée Méthot, Executive Director, Red Deer River Watershed Alliance.
Deadline for Applications: February 28th 2022 – 4:30pm MST
Thank you for your interest in working with the RDRWA. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.